Saxe Gotha Presbyterian Church
Student Ministry Assistant
Position reports to: Director of Student Ministry
Permanent Part-time Hourly
Currently fill by: __________
Last updated: 11/10/2020
To assist in the implementation of ministry to students at Saxe Gotha Presbyterian Church (SGPC) in grades 6-12. To supervise, advise, mentor, disciple, and assist student interns and adult volunteers within the ministry. Work will include planning and conducting weekly programs, preparation of calendars/promotional pieces, holding office hours, attending staff meeting, and working as a team with other staff at SGPC, under the direction of the Director of Student Ministry.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Shepherd and lead Student Ministry volunteers and Interns under the charge of the Director of Student Ministry.
- Work as a team player with ordained and non-ordained staff.
- Assist in budget preparation for Student Ministry.
- Gather and share strategies to meet the developmental goals of the Student Ministry program.
- Assist Student Ministry program staff in the growth and expansion of programs to include Sunday morning, Sunday evening, mid-week programs, as well as selection of curriculum, recruiting, training, and supporting volunteer leaders.
- Attend staff meeting and Youth retreats.
- Attend Session and committee Meetings, as requested.
- Assist in visiting and calling student members and adult leaders who are ill or hospitalized, as requested.
- Be a leadership presence at ministry events and church-wide functions.
- Counsel students and parents as appropriate and make necessary referrals, keeping the Director of Student Ministry informed.
- Teach and lead Bible studies and small groups under the direction of the Director of Student Ministries and Associate Pastor of Next Generation Ministries.
- To work with the Student Ministry team to recruit, train, and supervise ministry interns.
- Disciple students into mature faith.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Director of Student Ministry
Program Support – Student Ministry & Next Generation Ministry Teams
- Model a life of faithful worship and commitment by being present and engaged in weekly worship gatherings, special services, and other church-wide functions and events.
- Build Christ-honoring relationships with Saxe Gotha students, families, leaders, and volunteers.
- Pray for the student ministry, other church ministries, and for opportunities to share and teach Jesus as Lord and Savior.
- Commit to continued personal growth.
- Cultivate a teachable spirit and team player mentality.
- Seek ways to actively use your spiritual gifts.
- Care for your spiritual, mental, emotional and physical wellbeing.
- Possess an associate degree or equivalent relevant experience.
- Clean background check and drug screen.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to multitask and interact with both members of the church and the community.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage computer related needs requiring experience in but not limited to Word, Excel, Google Docs, and any current church management software.
- Experience preferred.
The high visibility and the number of opportunities to interact with church members and staff require professional standards of behavior. The dress code for most days will be casual, but for more formal occasions, business casual attire may be required. During the normal course of work, personal, private, or confidential information must be handled with great care and discretion. Shall comply with all applicable church policies and any requirements of the Employee Handbook. Coordination and teamwork will be expected in all areas of work. A strong commitment to Jesus Christ and a mature and growing faith are crucial as well as a strong sense of call to minister to students and their families, understanding unique challenges of this stage of human development and spiritual formation. Knowledge of the Bible and the tenets of the Christian faith are required. Energy, creativity, and enthusiasm for this work are necessary.
30+ hours each week, not to exceed 35 hours per week.
This position occasionally works at a venue outside of the Church, so overnight travel may be required. A valid SC drivers’ license is required.