Position Available: Interim Music Director
Trinity United Methodist Church in downtown Durham, N.C., is seeking an Interim Music Director. Principal responsibilities include planning and coordinating music for all worship services and relevant rehearsals (to total approximately 20-25 hours per week). Trinity’s worship style is a traditional liturgy; its diverse music reflects a wide range of musical influences and includes choral, organ, piano, handbells, and other instruments. The organ is a 1925 Skinner in a historic sanctuary with excellent acoustics. The Music Director directs an adult choir and handbells. The Music Director is supervised by the Senior Pastor.
During the current pandemic, the church is holding virtual, online services. As such, music is generally included in services via audio & video recordings, and we are open to remote candidates for this role (i.e., persons not physically located in Durham, NC). This interim position is expected to continue up to the start of in-person services, currently expected to be in or around June or July 2021.
- Select music for services, choir, and handbells (in coordination with pastor)
- Conduct regular (remote) rehearsals for vocal choir and handbell choir
- Coordinate choral & instrumental soloists from inside & outside the congregation
- A bachelor’s degree with a major in music, or equivalent experience
- Comfort w/ technology in remote music & worship services
- Strong musical instrument skills (piano, organ, or other)
- Experience directing a vocal choir
- Good leadership and strong interpersonal skills
Desirable additional qualifications/responsibilities:
- Perform (remote/recorded) music as part of virtual services
- Capable organist
- Experience serving as organist & choir director simultaneously
- Experience in directing or ringing handbells
- Oversee maintenance of organ and pianos
- Theological education
- Extensive knowledge of church music literature
- Spiritual commitment to leading music as an act of worship
Preference will be given to applicants with experience working in a church setting and coordinating music programming with the pastor and staff.
- $1,500 - $2,500/month, commensurate with experience and responsibilities
Start date: On or around February 22, 2021
To apply: Send a cover letter with a resume and a statement of your philosophy of church music to the Search Committee at email@example.com. All applications must be submitted electronically via email. The application deadline is February 1, 2021.